Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Motorcycle Blogaries

My (almost) week in Chennai has had a few memorable moments and/or beverages that have really made my visit here great. The first few that come to mind are the epic rainstorm my first night (see previous entry), seeing The Dark Knight, eating post-apocalyptic enchiladas, riding on the back of Scott's motorcycle every day, getting bitten by ants during the night, and strawberry-banana smoothies (I swear to god people, if you think you've had a good one in the states, you're dead wrong. I'm not kidding.). But perhaps the most memorable time I've had here is learning to ride a motorcycle.

You heard me. Riding. A motorcycle.

What you should know is that there were two main drawbacks. One was the helment Scott made me wear that was lined with, what I can only assume was, a queen-sized down comforter which made it hard to see, hear, and breathe. The other was the constant reminder that this was probably the most dangerous decision I could make while in India. But, the pros (which were that I'd be riding a motorcycle and...well, that's it) quickly pushed those drawbacks to the wayside to make room for Scott's 2007 Royal Enfield. This is me, the helmet, and Scott's newer Royal Enfield.Three years ago, Scott taught me how to drive his stick shift. After this, he promptly left for India, but his car stayed with me in the states. Though the standard took me a few months to master, I have been driving his Hyundai ever since. It's safe to assume standard transmissions and I have become pretty close over the years.

Despite my uncanny ability to lose my balance, my many years of teaching myself to ride my bike with no handlebars paid off, and within 20 minutes I was motoring around the block.









Just so we're both aware, it's also safe for you to assume that I'm a total badass.

Pending program approval, he might send up his old Enfield for me to drive around in Benaras. If he does, I will probably have to promise him (and my mother) to wear a stuffy helmet. It's totally worth it.

I leave tomorrow to fly to Delhi to meet everyone on my program, then a few days later I go to Benaras. I'm totally excited for Benaras. I've really liked my visit in Chennai, but I'm really looking forward to getting to know a city. When I first got here was terrified I would hate India. I think I've more or less accepted that I'm going to hate India sometimes, but I also know that other times I'll really love it. In all, I'm really happy about my decision to come here. At least this way I get to expand the amount of linen in my wardrobe. And anyone who knows me well knows how important that is to me.

On tonight's agenda is packing, going to a super fancy restaurant, and showering. I will update after I get to Delhi, though I can guarantee the pictures won't be as cool.

-allison

4 comments:

Laura said...

you are just the most precious bad-ass I ever saw! I LOVE these pics. My experience trying to drive one of scott's motorcycles was nowhere near as successful...but I guess you could have guessed that from our x-country trip in the Hyundai.

mom c said...

You are right - mom wants you to wear a helmut with at least a queen size down comforter and
chain mail.

Scott Carney said...

she IS a bad-ass.

wilfredcarney said...

Great pics. Good luck on your journey. Looking forward to more blogging.
Love, Dad