Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dwali Mubarak ho!

So today is Diwali, which is, as far as I can tell, the Christmas of India. Last night at the program house we had a puja, before which I volunteered to be the culturally clumsy white kid to perform. I offered a lot of food to Ganesh and Lakshmi, though I almost put the sweets behind the figures instead of in front of them. It was a significant faux pas, and the stupidest thing I did.

However, before the puja, I was put on the task of painting little feet throughout the house. The paint was made of spices and water and we had to put little feet in every doorway. They were so cute and tiny. In the next post, I'll put together a bunch of pictures from the night.

Post puja we went outside to set of fireworks, and I stepped on a sparkler(just like that time in 4th grade. Remember, Mom?) and it hurt, though it by no means ruined my night. It was a fun time. Tonight, apparently the fireworks will be crazy ridiculous and seen throughout the city. Diwali is also called The Festival of Lights, and apparently it's incredibly beautiful. I have no doubt that it will be.

I, however, am going to a special Diwali dinner with the woman I will be interning for at the elementary school. I am really excited, though entirely sure I will make a fool out of myself somehow. It's only a matter of time, really.

Okay well I'm off to clean my room. Happy Diwali everyone!

-allison

No comments: